background header Graduate Program of Hydrologic Sciences
background header Graduate Program of Hydrologic Sciences
background header Graduate Program of Hydrologic Sciences

Graduate Program of Hydrologic Sciences

Accelerated BS/MS PROGRAM

The GPHS administers an accelerated BS/MS Program that encourages outstanding students in the BS Civil Engineering, BS Environmental Engineering and BS Ecohydrology undergraduate degrees to obtain a MS degree in Hydrology or Hydrogeology in a shorter time.  A student can obtain either a Plan A (Thesis) or Plan B (non-thesis) MS degree.

Admission requirements: Students can apply for the Accelerated Program after completing at least 75 credits towards their BS degree with a 3.2 GPA (only UNR courses are included in the GPA calculation). This will typically occur during the spring of their junior year. As part of the admission process, a student must select a faculty member from the GPHS as their faculty advisor for their graduate degree and that person must agree to advise them. Students should contact their academic faculty advisor for details. Please see the application form for more information.

Program requirements: Students who are admitted into the program will be allowed to take up to 12 credits of courses (at least 3 courses) from the approved list of courses (see below) for their BS degree as 600-level graduate courses. The 600-level courses selected for this purpose must be approved by the student's BS program department and graduate advisor. Undergraduate students must receive permission from the Graduate School in order to register for a 600-level course. A 700-level course cannot be taken as long as the student is an undergraduate. The student must receive a "B" or better in the course for it to be considered for the graduate degree. The graduate academic advisor must be in the area of specialization that the student has selected for their graduate degree. In order to stay in the program, a student must maintain at least a 3.2 GPA in their UNR degree required courses. Upon completion of all BS requirements, a student will receive the BS degree.


A student must complete the BS degree at UNR to be part of the Accelerated BS/MS Program.


During their senior year, student will apply for admission into the Graduate School.


The student must meet all the requirements of the Graduate School and the MS degree granting department. This may include a GPA and/or GRE requirement. The GRE must be taken during the 1st semester of the student's senior year. This application for Graduate School must be completed before completing the BS degree.


Students will complete all MS degree requirements and may apply up to 12 credits of 600-level courses (at least 3 courses) towards both the BS and MS degree requirements. For the MS degree, the student must meet the Graduate School requirement of an average of a 3.0 GPA in courses applied to the MS degree. Courses and/or thesis requirements will be established by the department graduate advisor.

Approved List of Courses (students may choose up to 12 credits of courses (at least 3 courses) from this list to take at the 600-level):

                CEE 604                                 Open Channel Flow (3)

                CEE 618                                 Principles of Water Quality Modeling (3)

                CEE 653                                 Environmental Microbiology (3)

                CEE 658                                 Environmental Chemistry Concepts and Design (3)

                GE 684                                  Groundwater Hydrology (3)

                GE 685                                  Waste Containment (4)

                GEOL 616                             Environmental Geochemistry (3)

                GEOL/NRES 614                 Hydrologic Fluid Dynamics (3)

                NRES 682                             Small Watershed Hydrology (4)